Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Green filters looking good in oil analysis

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,662 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

More data,

ourtoy and his wife and I planned a VIR outing for "trackdays".  I put a full track weekend on this oil change.  I have changed to RLI 5W-40 per recommendations of my newfound help in the industry.  The results are here:

engine report.jpg

I'm very impressed with this oil.  I loved Redline for such a long time, but looks like as I put on thousands and thousands of track hours there were some mild problems.  This new oil has improved all of them a lot.

Shawn

• ian.r, choerizo and danielTRLK like this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,662 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Is that blurry to everyone else or is it just me?

Shawn

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,937 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Is that blurry to everyone else or is it just me?

Shawn

blurry...and I'm an eye surgeon

• HiBoost likes this

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,662 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

blurry...and I'm an eye surgeon

Try the PDF

Shawn Hayes GT-R maintenance thread

https://r.tapatalk.c...48&share_type=t

Shawn
  • 7racer likes this

d-pak

d-pak

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 24-October 13

Very interesting read. so what's the net of it for stock to mostly-stock builds not running E85 or have a crazy tune high boost tune?

Change oil & filters often based on usage, not just mileage and time?  Mobil1 0W40 and Nismo/stock filter are good enough to keep using?

How much does Tribologik cost vs McDonalds?

(sorry for cross posted)

Edited by d-pak, 08 August 2017 - 08:03 AM.

DIY Guides Related to my GT-R Projects --> http://gtrtech.blogspot.com

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,662 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Very interesting read. so what's the net of it for stock to mostly-stock builds not running E85 or have a crazy tune high boost tune?

Change oil & filters often based on usage, not just mileage and time?  Mobil1 0W40 and Nismo/stock filter are good enough to keep using?

How much does Tribologik cost vs McDonalds?

(sorry for cross posted)

The biggest thing is to get an oil analysis.  Get one and have a look at it.  It was obvious that my engine wasn't doing so well on Redline, despite doing very well on it in the past.

Oil should always be changed on usage.  Track is MUCH harder than street miles.  The Mobil1 0W-40 MIGHT be good enough for your engine, but get an analysis and see.  The Nismo filter is better than stock, but this new WIX XP seems to be the absolute bomb.

Tribologic is a lot more than McDonalds, for what you see.  But it was worth it.

I have to say this new Renewable Lubricants oil is also absolutely wonderful for my engine.  It might not be best for all, but it darn sure is for this one.

Shawn

• 7racer and danielTRLK like this

danielTRLK

danielTRLK

Stage 1 Member

• Vendors
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 28-February 17
  • LocationChicago

PM me for a sample kit, they're only $60. Blackstone charges for the equivalent, $200+ and they still don't address your issues.

I've seen enough Mobil 1 UOA on the GT-R to know it just doesn't work for the GT-R, even dailys. Improve the ring seal and increase power/efficiency and decrease wear. 

Tribologik(no longer there) is a commercial lab, meaning airplanes, fighter jets and lots of Navy stuff. I used to get grilled big time for spending time with "cars". Their automated system really won't help you much as it's not properly designed for an automotive application. On an F-35 where everything is always the same, it's different.

Shawn and I have reduced wear by 90% in the piston/cylinder head region and 50-60% through out all the bearings, oil pumps and his turbos in his engine. We increased his ring seal and combustion dynamic by over 50% on the track. Once Shawn gets some free time, we'll be able to compare the data logs on his engine and see what comes back. 

Redline's issue was it couldn't seal up the gap between the cylinder wall and the piston, better know as ring seal. It did well in the past, because fuel dilution creeps up on you when left uncontrolled. It's exponential over time and not linear. So you'll see an oil do well but as you continue diluting, your wear values will slowly rise, leaving you confused as to what's happening. This is not something that happens overnight, but rather over time. Then usually stuff gets blamed on wear and tear, age, power, driving style, etc when it was really an oil issue to begin with. Your engine suffers more wear at start up than it does on the track. Only way track driving would be harder than start ups is if you pulled your rev limiter out and left a brick on the gas pedal. 

On my 383WHP car, the difference with new oils(RLI vs. Amsoil) was 6WHP and 4lbs. I wish I had the money to test tracked oils and do more science experiments with what the difference in power is once they've been used quite a bit. The power difference as the vehicle's power rises is greater and the stronger the ring seal, the more power, especially on FI, I'm N/A. 

Shawn's GT-R makes 500WHP, I think? So imagine what the differences are for those of you cranking up the power. The more power you make, the more you need an oil, fuel, air filter, oil filter and additives combo to keep you protected. 

E85 is an amazing fuel, easy on engines, very easy on them. 

edit: We're going to bring Shawn's wear values even lower. Shawn and I aren't done just yet. Just sit back and watch. 

• Tim, ian.r and shawnhayes like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users