Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Newer Lower control arms onto CBA

- - - - - lower control arms lca cba

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

During my build, I swapped out the stock lower control arms for the newer 2014 lower control arms.  On the parts list, it was the only part number they had...so the most current but probably not the "Nismo".

The talk was how the upgraded suspension geometry of the newer cars helped the GTR on initial turn in and feel more stable on turns at the track.

Also if you look at the CBA LCA vs the newer LCA, it moves the mounting point of the shock farther to the wheels side.

One of the Jotech guys is a pro level RC racer that sets up an builds his own cars.  He seemed to have a VAST understanding of suspension geometry and set up.

He referred me to a book that you can download that talks about the suspension and changes in an easy way (attached).

Anyways, I plan to report back in this thread after Icarus and I drive COTA, but last time at MSR the car felt AWESOME on turn in and on long sweepers.  It just felt super stable and neutral.  It was amazing!  I was really worried I messed up the set up of the car with all the changes and the wing but it's been perfect so far!

I did change other aspects of the suspension with the aftermarket control arms, UCA, etc. plus wing and running more camber so that might muddy this impression.

In regards to the camber, it looked like I wasn't using the outside of the tires so plan to go back to my TSM alignment for COTA and will report back.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 9.21.54 PM.jpg

• icarus and shawnhayes like this

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13
I suspected it would work very well. Nissan changed very little, but what they did change seems very very positive.

Shawn

paparazzi

paparazzi

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 283 posts
  • Joined 13-March 13
  • LocationTrinidad & Tobago

you left in the CBA uppers?

JDM Mine's dry carbon Spec X 6.0 with genuine Spec-V turbos 
617ft lb and 652whp on MS109E

god7illa

god7illa

Stage 2 Member

• 278 posts
  • Joined 17-January 14
  • LocationOttawa, Canada

Great news, thanks!  I've been considering doing this for some time now.    The LCAs are a reasonably priced upgrade imo.

I already have 2013 struts/springs in my '09, so this probably makes sense to do.

My only concern is a possible mis-match with what (if anything) has changed in the rear.

2009 Gun Metallic
Power:     2012 Turbo Inlets (ported by Dave@GotBoost),  Cobb catted Y-pipe,  GotBoost's 3" Intake,   Magnus tune: ~525 whp, ~550 wtq

Handling: Stillen front/rear sways,   '14 Track Ed struts/springs,  DBA LCAs,  ARP lugs,   Alcon/Carbotech brakes
Aero:        Stillen Front Splitter and Side Skirts,   Difflow 5 element rear diffuser
Convenience: 2014 MFD/NAV/Audio (legertas upgrade) w. front and rear cameras

Mr. Ess Hertz front/centre speaker/amp upgrade,   JL Audio SX600/1 + 2x8" Subs (my own "kit")
                       CarKitCompany RRR Memory Box

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

you left in the CBA uppers?

no I have the SPL upper control arms

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Great news, thanks! I've been considering doing this for some time now. The LCAs are a reasonably priced upgrade imo.

I already have 2013 struts/springs in my '09, so this probably makes sense to do.

My only concern is a possible mis-match with what (if anything) has changed in the rear.

You should be able to tune that with sways. The geometry changed, but markedly little. One inch movement on the LCA changed the angles in such a small way. Not zero, but just a little.

Shawn

Johnnypbmx

Johnnypbmx

Stage 1 Member

• 123 posts
  • Joined 25-February 14
Reviving old thread- but i have spec-v bilsteins and the kw sleeve kit on my cba- way too stiff so im going back to swift sport springs

While im at it should i try to source some updated front lower control arms? Ive seen mention of the fron benefits but was the rear changed to? Running spl upper arms too.
  • droptopp likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lower control arms, lca, cba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users