Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Oil Leak from Turbo, need your thoughts.......Update 10/28....FIXED

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13

So I went To Mid-Ohio on Monday and ran the car for a HPDE, which was a blast.  Ran the car pretty hard and had a great time.  Car ran fine and I even saw my fast top speed in owning the car, at 154, on the back straight.  Good times!!

I parked the car last night and this evening went out to try out my new tow hooks I bought to tie the car down and noticed a couple of drops of oil on the ground on the passenger side.  Sure enough, there is oil spray all over the steering rack and everything in that area.  So I get the car on the lift and pull off the bottom panel and see oil coming from the bottom of the turbo.

Here is a pic, what do you guys thinks?  Could be as simple as the gasket for the oil feed line failed?  I sure hope it is something simple, since I am headed to a brand new track in two weeks, and both my wife and I have been waiting for, for over a year to go.  She is driving the GTR and I am taking my STI.  Anyways, here is a PIc:

427DD95F-E67B-4902-8BD2-AC40FE046637-118

So, what do you guys think?  I know you can tell from a picture, but............always like to hear.

I am taking the car into the dealer in the next day or so for them to look at, and to have my tech go over the car since we have tracked it a couple times and I need a alignment too.

Edited by Ourtoy, 28 October 2014 - 07:34 PM.

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,505 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA

Do you run a non-catted midpipe?  If so, any grey smoke?

Dave

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,865 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
is your car stock?

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner / MoTec Calibrator
-Mainline Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 21B Ozick Dr, Durham, CT   West Coast Location 16726 146th St SE, Monroe, WA

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Common problem.  One other member on this board has had.  I will let him chime in.

Problem is that little fitting at the bottom of the turbo.  That little oval seal with the two screws in it fails as it ages.  It gets really really really friggin hot there.  It's just a matter of time.

Cheap fix, though.  I would make sure I inspected it well.  Last fix I know of by this the dealer did, and it was very reasonable.

Shawn

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13

Do you run a non-catted midpipe?  If so, any grey smoke?

Dave

No, I have a Cobb catted midpipe.  I did not see any grey smoke while driving on the track.

is your car stock?

No it is not, I have a AMS e-tune, HKS IC piping and BOVs, and full exhaust from turbos back.  The exhaust is meisterschaft, except for the Mid pipe, since the previous owner tried to quiet it down with the cobb catted mid pipe.  

Common problem.  One other member on this board has had.  I will let him chime in.

Problem is that little fitting at the bottom of the turbo.  That little oval seal with the two screws in it fails as it ages.  It gets really really really friggin hot there.  It's just a matter of time.

Cheap fix, though.  I would make sure I inspected it well.  Last fix I know of by this the dealer did, and it was very reasonable.

Shawn

Shawn, I am glad to hear that this is a common problem.  Seeing how hard I was running the car Monday, I see how that get really hot.  Thanks.  Headed to the dealer in the next day or so.

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,865 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
I guess I meant to ask if the turbos were stock. it's common for the drain gasket to fail. easy in car fix.

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner / MoTec Calibrator
-Mainline Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 21B Ozick Dr, Durham, CT   West Coast Location 16726 146th St SE, Monroe, WA

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

I had the passenger side turbo return line gasket begin seeping, was fixed easily by dealer.  Driver's side would be much more difficult I think.

2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I had the passenger side turbo return line gasket begin seeping, was fixed easily by dealer.  Driver's side would be much more difficult I think.

There's the guy.

Well known failure mode of that gasket.  Get it replaced and hopefully it will fix it.

Shawn

Ian201

Ian201

Stage 1 Member

• 130 posts
  • Joined 28-September 14
  • LocationStenungsund Sweden

Do you mean have it replaced with another gasket made from some other material or from the same Shawn?

Ian

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13

I guess I meant to ask if the turbos were stock. it's common for the drain gasket to fail. easy in car fix.

Sorry, yes stock turbos.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Do you mean have it replaced with another gasket made from some other material or from the same Shawn?

Ian

OEM gasket does the best it can.

I do not know any better material at this point.

That joint gets stupid hot.

Shawn
  • Ian201 likes this

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13

Well, We got the car back today, and it is back to leaking.  I talked with my tech tonight trying to figure out why in the world it is leaking again.  After installing the new gasket, he let the car run for about 30 min or so, took it for a drive, rechecked it, and no leak.  My wife picked up the car, drove it home, which is about a 30 min drive and the oil was back, and looked just like the pic I posted, except the "cold Side" of the turbo was clean, just the hot side had oil on it.  The sub frame had oil on it along with the steer rack and the A-arm.

When I did call my tech, we both decided that maybe the bolts needed a little more tightening, since the spec is only 80 inch pounds, which is super low.  So I took a 1/4 ratchet, and put maybe a 1/8 turn more on the bolt.  Cleaned all the oil off of everything and went for a drive down the road.  I just did highway driving, 55, no pulls of any kind, just driving.  I get back home and look, oil again on the bottom of the hot side of turbo on the bolts, on the sub frame, on the A arm, and steering rack.  The other strange thing, is that the hot side is wet almost all the way to the top.  Is that caused from a "wicking" effect?  The banjo bolt on the back of the turbo, the pressure side, it dry and clean, btw.

So I have several questions at this point.......Where in the world is this oil coming from?  Could it be that it is leaking from the housing of the turbo?  Should I maybe pull off the drain tube and clean it again and re torque it, maybe there is some crud on the metal gasket?   It is driving me crazy.  Oil leak, is sometimes like a water leak, it sometimes is not coming from where you think.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.  My techs fear is that it could possibly be the turbo, and if he has to get a new turbo, they are going to want flicker data from the PCM, and I have a tune on the car.  What are the chances that will fly, since this all started after I ran the car at Mid-Ohio last week, and was pushing over 150 in the back straight and "Beating" on the car.

Looks like the car will not be going to the new track in Bowling Green, KY this weekend at the NCM track.  Oh well, I still have my STI I am taking though, the wife will just have to ride, which she is fine with. 

Bse

Bse

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 14-September 13
From what your describing it sounds like a bad turbo. I would recommend pulling the oil drain line off and make sure there are no restrictions in the line. If the drain line is clear your turbo is bad.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

From what your describing it sounds like a bad turbo. I would recommend pulling the oil drain line off and make sure there are no restrictions in the line. If the drain line is clear your turbo is bad.

Ouch.

Ourtoy

I have to agree that this is likely. Once that gasket has been replaced, the likely source of leaking itself is the turbo.

Drive the car for a while. Watch the oil. Replace as necessary. Pull the tune off the ECU. Return to stock as much on the motor as you can, then take it in - you are implying above you still have a warranty. Then see what happens.

Shawn

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13

Ouch.

Ourtoy

I have to agree that this is likely. Once that gasket has been replaced, the likely source of leaking itself is the turbo.

Drive the car for a while. Watch the oil. Replace as necessary. Pull the tune off the ECU. Return to stock as much on the motor as you can, then take it in - you are implying above you still have a warranty. Then see what happens.

Shawn

Shawn, so you think bad turbo too?  Where would the oil be coming from, That is what I don't under stand.

Well, warranty just ran out, the 3yr, 36K, BUT since it just expired, I think my service writer and tech will try to "goodwill" for me, so it is a crap shoot.  My service writer and tech both know the car well, that it has a tune and we beat the crap out of it on the track, well let me rephrase that, we drive the car in which it was built to be driven, on the track.  

I guess I need to be on the hunt for a set of stock turbos.  If anyone know of someone with low miles stock turbos for sale, let me know and will 2014 fit a 2012.....??

• shawnhayes likes this

forty-two

forty-two

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 756 posts
  • Joined 19-March 13
  • LocationATX

Shawn, so you think bad turbo too?  Where would the oil be coming from, That is what I don't under stand.

Well, warranty just ran out, the 3yr, 36K, BUT since it just expired, I think my service writer and tech will try to "goodwill" for me, so it is a crap shoot.  My service writer and tech both know the car well, that it has a tune and we beat the crap out of it on the track, well let me rephrase that, we drive the car in which it was built to be driven, on the track.  

I guess I need to be on the hunt for a set of stock turbos.  If anyone know of someone with low miles stock turbos for sale, let me know and will 2014 fit a 2012.....??

Power train warranty is 60 months. Is the turbo not included in that?

Good luck!

ATX GTROC on Facebook - link

14492399_1137348429689454_63336591853219

Ian201

Ian201

Stage 1 Member

• 130 posts
  • Joined 28-September 14
  • LocationStenungsund Sweden

I hope the tech`s checked to see if the flange is flat and not warped,through high heat in that area,or even by to high torque on the bolts. What material is the gasket made from ?

Ian

Ourtoy

Ourtoy

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 267 posts
  • Joined 24-November 13
The gasket is a metal gasket. When I get a moment I will check the flatness of the flange. The bolts were torqued to spec which I double checked too. I tightened them just a hair more to see if that would stop the leak and it did not.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Oil can come from the bearing cartridge in the center and leak out between the hot and cold side.  Here's a good example...

7150d1123113347-05-turbo-oil-leak-05llyt

Shawn

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,161 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

The gasket is a metal gasket. When I get a moment I will check the flatness of the flange. The bolts were torqued to spec which I double checked too. I tightened them just a hair more to see if that would stop the leak and it did not.

I have not seen a leak of the oil feed line, but this is theoretically possible as well.  But, very hard to get to I think.  The oil drain line is the source of most of the leaks.

As above, if all lines are checked, true, and flat surfaces and not leaking, it is the center cartridge of the turbo, which holds the bearings.

Shawn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users