Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GTX3582R from Alpha 9 from FBO build update

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,265 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14

Droptopp,

Also we've never seen a bearing failure from an Alpha 9 build in our 8-9 years of building these cars. Not saying it can't happen it's just that this is the first one we've seen.

Again I'm sorry you had this issue and we'll do our best to figure it out and get you back in action. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions or concerns.

thank you,

Martin Musial

PM sent with my direct number. Look forward to your call.

Edited by droptopp, 09 October 2018 - 12:32 AM.

• 7racer likes this
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

franzcars

franzcars

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 16-March 13

I hate to see this happen to you again. Any updates?

• Tim likes this
2013 Premium Deep Blue Pearl with 285/35 PSS's front, 18"NT05R's rear, SIR USM's, HKS Upgraded Actuators, TiTek 90mm Downpipes, AAM Resonated Midpipe, GotBoost intakes, GotBoost SD kit, Visconti Flex Fuel, Bosch 2200's, Fore tripple pump with with twin 485's DIY hardwired, Ecutek Etune by Bill@SprayItRacing
Appearance: TSW Nurburing rear, Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn with quad backup lights, always on front DRLs, Diode Dynamics LED City, Trunk, Map and License Plate lights

530AWHP with a Cobb OTS stage 1 only
555AWHP with MP/tune from Linney
Best ET 10.52@128 with midpipe/tune/NT05R's

Gone but never forgotten, Memorial Day 2017

New GTR
2009 SS Jack's Built ETS 3582R. From Motown to The Lou, and we're proud

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16
Did AMS make you sign a NDA?

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,095 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches

I never had to sign one
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,265 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14

Nope, just waiting on the tear down and analysis and next steps.
GTX3582R built and tuned by STM, AMS 4.1, Omega billet crank, Alpha Cams, STM DP, MP, 4 STM Titanium custom exhaust, STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Sheptrans OneK drop gears, DS axles, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888 / MT ET 18x10/12 TE37 Saga MT ET SS 275/245.
Heartbreaker Mustang 1186 E70 low boost. Dynojet 1350 +/- 60-130 3.5 seconds. 100-150 3.4 seconds.

earico

earico

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 497 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationSA TX

I don’t know, maybe I just treat my customers differently.

It’s not like I have not already invited the cost of pulling and shipping the motor nor the fact AMS engines cut the last two seasons in half for me lol.

Completely over specified for the hp they had.

Should have listened to my gut and shipped it somewhere else after the first one shit the bed on a measly A9. Should have lasted 20k+ for a race crate 3.8 long block not 3,500.

3,500 miles on the first one? Damn. My basic piston and rods Jack's build 3.8 lasted 12,000 miles. Many 152-153 mph 1/4 miles, 15 or so half mile runs and god knows how many weekend street pulls. Car is a weekend toy only. When it blew it was a HG failure. This time around I had T1 build the engine and I'm sure it will last much longer.

Sorry to see you're down again. I hope whoever is at fault makes it right and you get back out there soon.

• droptopp likes this
fn4rpl.jpg
2012 BE GT-R - T1R 3.8L / PTE-5858s / Drag 1000
Ecutek tuned by Bill @ SIR

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 318 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

3,500 miles on the first one? Damn. My basic piston and rods Jack's build 3.8 lasted 12,000 miles. Many 152-153 mph 1/4 miles, 15 or so half mile runs and god knows how many weekend street pulls. Car is a weekend toy only. When it blew it was a HG failure. This time around I had T1 build the engine and I'm sure it will last much longer.

Sorry to see you're down again. I hope whoever is at fault makes it right and you get back out there soon.

What is an HG failure?

What is a decent expectation for a built motor in the 1000+HP range?
  • droptopp likes this
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

What is an HG failure?

What is a decent expectation for a built motor in the 1000+HP range?

HG= Head gasket failure. Potentially from a lifted head (GTR gaskets are very robust).

Your mileage on a build will vary, I have a customer that makes 1036 wheel on our dyno with HKS GT1000, has 29,000 miles on the build, daily driven.

• droptopp and socalaviator like this

socalaviator

socalaviator

Stage 3 Member

• 318 posts
  • Joined 23-February 15

HG= Head gasket failure. Potentially from a lifted head (GTR gaskets are very robust).

Your mileage on a build will vary, I have a customer that makes 1036 wheel on our dyno with HKS GT1000, has 29,000 miles on the build, daily driven.

Thanks Jared. There are a ton of variables I'm sure.
  • droptopp likes this
RD Engineering. HKS GT1000 build.

Jared@SFS

Jared@SFS

Stage 3 Member

• Vendors
  • 367 posts
  • Joined 17-September 13
  • LocationAlpharetta Georgia

Thanks Jared. There are a ton of variables I'm sure.

Good oil filtration, quality maintenance, good oil coolers, good oil, having the ECU setup with maximum amount of fail safes and protections are all very key. 

• thehelix112, droptopp and socalaviator like this

Martin@amsperformance

Martin@amsperformance

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

The only people we make sign NDA's is for vendors that we're working with or people that we will be sharing proprietary information with.  Do other companies make their customers sign NDA's?

We're talking with David and trying to figure stuff out btw.

• Tim likes this
Martin Musial
President  - AMS Performance - Alpha Performance

ams_email_signature.png

colo_evo

colo_evo

Stock

• Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Joined 20-September 16

The only people we make sign NDA's is for vendors that we're working with or people that we will be sharing proprietary information with. Do other companies make their customers sign NDA's?
We're talking with David and trying to figure stuff out btw.

There were multiple shops that were having customers sign nda's in the past, it was discussed on this forum.

Martin@amsperformance

Martin@amsperformance

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 15-March 13
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

I wanted to give an update on this situation.  I spoke with Droptopp and he realized he must have misinterpreted our communication and said that nobody actually asked 'who is paying for this' first.  

In this situation we sold a long block to a customer and the installation, break-in, use and maintenance is out of our hands and we cannot monitor it.  There are a lot of variable that come into play here.  The first motor that failed after about 3500 miles and a few years of use was on an Alpha 9 build.  It wiped the middle two main bearings out, which is a first for us to see.  The only main bearing failures we have seen like this is when you are pushing a lot of torque and high RPM (8800 rpm +), because you have massive bearing loads and also aerated oil (on the stock oiling system).  So this was strange to see in the first place.  

The second engine we build was a totally different engine block, new crank, etc.  1500 miles later the same failure happens, on a larger turbo kit making more power.  I believe this at around 1100whp on a mustang dyno, so again not major stress on a build like this.  The same failure is happening again on two different engines, 3 years apart.  The type of failure is usually seen with high torque/compromised oiling to the engine.  If this was an assembly error/clearance problem the issue would show up very quickly, usually at first start up or within the first 50 mile break in period.   Every engine has documented bearing clearances (main/rod) and we have documents on both of the engines.  Everything was within spec.  

We ship a long block out and then we have no control of how it's used, tuned, maintained, etc.  We get back an engine that has bearing damage, besides checking torques and clearances that where set it's almost impossible to determine what caused this failure due to the amount of variables at play.  Having said that, this is not a common occurrence hence why  I reached out to the customer and we also contacted his builder to see what is possibly going on.   Either way we will take care of and help Droptopp.  If anyone has any questions please let me know!

Thanks,

• Tony1 and Mattson like this
Martin Musial
President  - AMS Performance - Alpha Performance

ams_email_signature.png

gc1000

gc1000

Stock

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 12-September 18
So, you’re saying the common variable is the customer and therefore it’s operator error? Are there any other common variables?

Not disagreeing with what you’re saying, just shows how amazing it is that auto manufacturers can build thousands of cars that go hundreds of thousands of miles on a Daily basis. Imagine all the variables at play there. Who knows if anyone changes their oil at all during warranty, or if any cars are ever revved to the max. Amazing the manufacturers can stand behind it all.....

1500 and 3500 miles just seems quite low....do you approve that the components were properly spec’ed for the power levels produced?

droptopp

droptopp

Stage 4 Member

• 1,265 posts
  • Joined 16-February 14
Not really apples to apples comparison. If you took a Honda V6 or an Mercedes V6 and trippled the whp or more I seriously doubt you would see longevity.

Edited by droptopp, Yesterday, 12:26 AM.

• Mattson likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users