Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

new Dunlop tires nr1 spec!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
http://m.tirerack.co...description.jsp

DescriptionDunlopSP SPORT MAXX GT 600 DSST CTT
The SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT is an Extreme Performance Summer run-flat tire featuring Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology (DSST) developed for the all-wheel drive Nissan GT-R super sports car. Merging both car and motorcycle tire development and manufacturing technologies, the SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT was created as a Combined Technology Tyre (CTT) to enhance ride quality while providing temporary extended mobility for a distance of 50 miles at up to 50 mph even after a puncture has allowed complete air pressure loss. Like all summer tires, the SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.The SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT features a high-grip, silica-reinforced tread compound molded into an asymmetric tread pattern featuring a CTT profile to combine ride comfort, handling and traction. Large outboard shoulder blocks and continuous center ribs enhance initial responsiveness and cornering stability. Notched inboard intermediate and shoulder ribs are combined with three circumferential grooves to help resist hydroplaning. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by Dunlops JointLess Band (JLB) spirally wrapped polyamide to blend high-speed durability with uniform ride quality. SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT tires feature reinforced sidewalls that are designed to temporarily support the weight of the car even after a loss of air pressure.NOTE: SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT tires are currently available in three versions: one for 2013 and earlier model year vehicles, another for 2014 and later cars, and the third version, NR1, specifically for the GT-R NISMO. As indicated below, tires for 2014 model year and later cars feature shallower molded tread depths to provide sharper handling and more performance from the beginning, with the NR1 tires featuring the least tread depth to place the highest focus on the extreme dry performance.Each tire features a slightly different tread design and the beginning tread depths are indicated below.
Year
Front Size
Rear Size
  255/40RF20 (97Y) 285/35RF20 (100Y)
8/32"
9/32"
7/32" 
7/32" 
2014 NR1 
6/32" 
7/32" 
WARNING: 2014 tires can be utilized on any prior model year vehicle but the 2013 model year and prior tires are not authorized for use on 2014+ model year vehicles.

someone have the best motoring video where they were talking about tire development and how this is one part of the car that made it possible for the record times on the ring, developing the right tread patterns, tread deapth, sidewall stiffness, and materials.

looks like it might not be great for wet performance or ride quality tho.

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
(the
NISMO and the Track Edition GT-R wear
NR1-spec tires that elevate grip beyond
1.0 g.)
http://www.caranddri...t-r-test-review
but c&d didnt witness it on a skid pad, im sure krumm has tho.

Biff_Malibu

Biff_Malibu

Stage 4 Member

• 794 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
  • LocationLos Angeles

It's really hard to beat the OEM Dunlops... This makes it even harder to switch to anything else. I'm now torn between Hankook RS-3 and this new Dunlop NR1 spec.

2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

interesting....200 tread wear

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

It's really hard to beat the OEM Dunlops... This makes it even harder to switch to anything else. I'm now torn between Hankook RS-3 and this new Dunlop NR1 spec.

I can't seem to find any info on the NR1 spec on the Dunlop site....any links?

In7anity!!

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
Tirerack link didnt work for me... 200 treadwear? Not sure how those would provide more grip than the originals at 140 treadwear? Hmmmm....
2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

Nodrip

Nodrip

Stage 3 Member

• 301 posts
  • Joined 05-June 14

Tirerack link didnt work for me... 200 treadwear? Not sure how those would provide more grip than the originals at 140 treadwear? Hmmmm....

The original link is http://www.tirerack....=54YR0GT600DSST

66bafd5c17ea5bd591930c5f92aafef3.jpg

Edited by Nodrip, 03 August 2014 - 04:04 PM.

• 7racer likes this

Let's meet on track : TrackWithMe

Youtube : Great Troll Racer

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,796 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

damn looks like an interesting alternative!

In7anity!!

paparazzi

paparazzi

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 13-March 13
  • LocationTrinidad & Tobago
About the difference between the standard car tire and NISMO version

Width ... tire mounted in the 2014 model Ver-NISMO R35 is wide!

It was information, except that it was verified, it was exactly the same 285mm.

Incidentally

Dunlop 2013 model R35 standard vehicles 285-35-20 IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0261.JPG Dunlop 2014 model R35 standard vehicles 285-35-20 IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0258.JPG Model Dunlop R35Ver-NISMO 285-35-20 for 2014 IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0257.JPG

Pattern of the grooves are quite different, Ver-NISMO for I am shallow.

Side wall of the 2014 standard car tires, has become soft

Ride has become soft markedly.

JDM Mine's dry carbon Spec X 6.0 with genuine Spec-V turbos 
617ft lb and 652whp on MS109E

blakegleason

blakegleason

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 19-September 13

Finally some info!

2014 GT-R Red BE (SOLD)
2009 SS GT-R TSM Built PRO8 (SOLD)

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
wow you can see alot of differences! slightly less width, very shallow tread deapth, added another row too and a few different patterns.

thanks for sharing the pics!

Biff_Malibu

Biff_Malibu

Stage 4 Member

• 794 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
  • LocationLos Angeles
It sounds like the model years referenced are JDM/EDM. I'm assuming the 13 tire is USDM 14, and the 14 softer side wall is actually for USDM 15.

Can anyone confirm?

2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,034 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
I thought that they were always 200 treadwear? I'll go check next time I drive the car. My understanding was that they are dual compound, with a harder compound on the inner half of the tread, and a softer compound on the outer half. That way they can be rated at 200 treadwear, but still provide grip like an R compound during hard cornering...

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I thought that they were always 200 treadwear? I'll go check next time I drive the car. My understanding was that they are dual compound, with a harder compound on the inner half of the tread, and a softer compound on the outer half. That way they can be rated at 200 treadwear, but still provide grip like an R compound during hard cornering...

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport does this. I did not know Dunlop had adopted this concept.

Shawn

paparazzi

paparazzi

Stage 2.5 Member

• OEM Member
  • 273 posts
  • Joined 13-March 13
  • LocationTrinidad & Tobago

I'm going to order the new 2015 tyres in 285 square to see what the softer sidewall feels like.

• choerizo likes this

JDM Mine's dry carbon Spec X 6.0 with genuine Spec-V turbos 
617ft lb and 652whp on MS109E

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

You are correct sir!  And I stand corrected.  Here's the link to the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT 600 DSST CTT on TireRack.  Not sure where I remembered 140 treadwear from...

http://www.tirerack....ModClar=Premium

2014 NISSAN GT-R

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
From TireRack's website - comparison of standard Dunlop (top) versus NR1 (bottom).  Not sure how accurate this is, the Nismo was listed as a 2014 US model and not as a 2015.  The treadwidth is spec as a lot wider in front and a lot narrower in the rear.

dunlop tire specs

2014 NISSAN GT-R

Lize

Lize

Stock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 22-February 16

Hi,

I know this post is quite old now but I found it useful when sourcing some NR1s and thought I'd share with you some thoughts.

Firstly, I don't track my cars, only road use.  I've had Bridgestones, older Dunlops and the quieter newer Dunlops on a couple of GTRs and I preferred the Dunlops for grip but couldn't really tell any difference with the later type with the supposed better wet grip.

I've changed from a 13 plate to a Nismo, so I'm not comparing apples with apples as whole driving experience is very different with far better grip but I do feel that the NR1s must add benefit beyond car differences.  They are now down to about 1mm off the tread wear indicators and I have not experienced any loss of grip in any weather condition.  With my 13 plate GTR and the standard Dunlops, I could get the back very squirmy and light up the traction control without much effort when the tyres got on the low side even on dry roads.

Its a long time ago that I had the Bridgestones but I don't remember thinking there was greatly increased tramlining with the Dunlops and there certainly isn't any difference with the NR1s.  There are quite a few roads locally which are so badly worn that any car with big tyres is like driving on train tracks!

Its difficult for me to compare wear as I am doing far less motorway miles, I have around 5.5K miles on the NR1s with some left yet and I'm happy that they have lasted more than 5 minutes.

I originally had a bit of bother sourcing a new set of NR1s in the UK as lots listed fronts but no rears.  I contacted Dunlop and their technical support was very helpful and responded immediately to my questions.  I sourced them from Camskill.co.uk who also offered great service and were very helpful and I thought their pricing was very competitive too, I will definitely buy tyres from them again.

For the small difference in cost between the NR1s and the standard Sports I would highly recommend them.

I made a bit of a fuss (like with most things!) trying to source them but then Dunlop did go to the bother of designing them for the Nismo and they are so good that I didn't want to risk being disappointed had I fitted a different tyre.

Hope this helps someone.

Liz

• Tim and thehelix112 like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,325 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationArroyo Grande, CA
Thanks for tb review Liz. If a set of 4rears comes my way I'd be excited to try them!

Dave
  • choerizo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users