Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mine's Reinforcement Body Brace

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Biff_Malibu

Biff_Malibu

Stage 4 Member

• 841 posts
  • Joined 24-May 14
  • LocationLos Angeles

Hello Everyone,

Just got my set of braces from Mine's via EMS today. They look simple and well made. Knowing Mine's I'm assuming there will be some tangible result (at least in feel). Pics below.

I'll report back when I get them installed.

Joe

http://www.mines-wav..._2_E.html#BRACE

IMG_0792_zpse13b5953.jpg

IMG_0793_zps9732b6fa.jpg

IMG_0794_zpsa619af4e.jpg

2015 Nissan GT-R NISMO

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

cool!

a mechanic noticed as he opened doors on some 09's that they would be hard to close and not align due to flex in the body, where as newer cars had no flex.

Maybe these will help noticeably!

In7anity!!

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
very cool pieces, I regard my 09 GT-R to be the stiffest chassis car I have ever driven, but I guess there is always room for improvement! Knowing Mines I am surprised these are not made out of carbon fiber or titanium.
2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

very cool pieces, I regard my 09 GT-R to be the stiffest chassis car I have ever driven, but I guess there is always room for improvement! Knowing Mines I am surprised these are not made out of carbon fiber or titanium.

Wouldn't hold the torsional loads.  Maybe thick titanium or aluminum might, but CF has no hope.

Shawn

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

Wouldn't hold the torsional loads.  Maybe thick titanium or aluminum might, but CF has no hope.

Shawn

I would have guessed as much, but I still can't figure out why they can make a driveshaft out of carbon fiber, and even in a 1000whp GT-R it still isn't the weak link!

2014 NISSAN GT-R

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Carbon fiber is only strong when loaded parallel with the weave. I forget the enginerd speak, but there's a term for it. Like Shawn said cf wouldn't hold up to being loaded that way. This is why when I first saw the cf 'strut brace' on factory DBA cars I just laughed... I guess even the boffins at Nissan have a little ricky ricer in them.

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

Carbon fiber is only strong when loaded parallel with the weave. I forget the enginerd speak, but there's a term for it. Like Shawn said cf wouldn't hold up to being loaded that way. This is why when I first saw the cf 'strut brace' on factory DBA cars I just laughed... I guess even the boffins at Nissan have a little ricky ricer in them.

You don't the carbon fiber strut brace think it makes a difference?  We're talking Mizuno here, dude!

2014 NISSAN GT-R

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I would have guessed as much, but I still can't figure out why they can make a driveshaft out of carbon fiber, and even in a 1000whp GT-R it still isn't the weak link!

The secret is round, and the weave.

Shawn

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

You don't the carbon fiber strut brace think it makes a difference? We're talking Mizuno here, dude!

It does, and I have one, but that one is woven special with a resin, and is subject to very little motion. In the DBA, it is also screwed down every foot or so.

Icarus raises a good point though. And, I know I just "know" that CF wouldn't support the loading on that kind of gusseting. That part will not only see pull, but also push, and twist. Just my experience that CF cannot do all of that.

I remember when one of the F1 cars suspension arms just exploded into dust, and I saw the film. I remember thinking "what made you think they would hold up to that?", but at least it was an unusual occurrence.

Shawn

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
the carbon dba brace is just wrapped in carbon for the look.

and the tolerances in the gtr builds as years go on has improved.

mizuno had the workers drive a gtr with loose tolerances and then one with tighter so the workers seen first hand why its important, hence why its improved through the years.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

the carbon dba brace is just wrapped in carbon for the look.

and the tolerances in the gtr builds as years go on has improved.

mizuno had the workers drive a gtr with loose tolerances and then one with tighter so the workers seen first hand why its important, hence why its improved through the years.

Are you sure it's bit full carbon??

In7anity!!

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
its a metal core wrapped in carbon i thought?

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Interesting Ian - I was under the impression that it was actual carbon fiber. I'll have to look more closely at my buddy's DBA car next time he's got the hood up. It's more the shape that makes it weak, VS the material. Wrapping it up and around the builkhead is just going to load it in all the wrong directions. It's like a bow and arrow - you don't design the bow and then expect it not to bend...

I was under the impression that most of the DBA's stiffer chassis was due to extra steel bracing around the firewall area which is spot welded onto the chassis before assembly. I saw a diagram of it in a thread on the other forum - I can go try to search for that if people are curious...

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
I've seen pics of those firewall reinforcements too. They are in very specific areas, I remember thinking they must have some real data telling them it would make a difference.

Edited by icarus, 29 July 2014 - 12:42 PM.

2014 NISSAN GT-R

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Interesting Ian - I was under the impression that it was actual carbon fiber. I'll have to look more closely at my buddy's DBA car next time he's got the hood up. It's more the shape that makes it weak, VS the material. Wrapping it up and around the builkhead is just going to load it in all the wrong directions. It's like a bow and arrow - you don't design the bow and then expect it not to bend...

I was under the impression that most of the DBA's stiffer chassis was due to extra steel bracing around the firewall area which is spot welded onto the chassis before assembly. I saw a diagram of it in a thread on the other forum - I can go try to search for that if people are curious...

Be careful that you know that that brace is anchored into the firewall about every 12 inches.  It is screwed pretty handily in, so the end - to - end torsion is basically meaningless on that brace in isolation, it is tying the anchor points to the firewall in another dimension with  an extra brace.

1329_93b798ce02_1000x666.jpg

And the bolts gusseting it to the firewall on the brake booster side...

DSC_3813.JPG

So, it's not just a tower brace, but it reinforces the firewall and connects the top of ths strut tower to it in an upwards dimension.

Shawn

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I've seen pics of those firewall reinforcements too. They are in very specific areas, I remember thinking they must have some real data telling them it would make a difference.

2012-Nissan-GT-R-29.JPG

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
Yep that's the pic I remember.
2014 NISSAN GT-R

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Ditto - and I had no idea that there were bolts every foot on that CF piece, that would make a big difference... D'oh! gotta look under the skin...

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago

Those are the most beatiful pieces of metal i have ever seen, damn.

Hello Everyone,

Just got my set of braces from Mine's via EMS today. They look simple and well made. Knowing Mine's I'm assuming there will be some tangible result (at least in feel). Pics below.

I'll report back when I get them installed.

Joe

http://www.mines-wav..._2_E.html#BRACE

IMG_0792_zpse13b5953.jpg

IMG_0793_zps9732b6fa.jpg

IMG_0794_zpsa619af4e.jpg

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

where do those braces go exactly?