Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Official GT-R Road Course Lap Times

* * * * * 1 votes road course lap times gt-r

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

destroid

destroid

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 31-January 13
  • Location"Live Free Or Die"

Session 4 on day 2 at Watkins Glen chasing a Z06. 
2:16.42
Running Hankook RS3v2 285 square with AP rotors and Carbotech XP10 pads. Original 2013 tune with HKS midpipe and Boostane in the tank.

Edited by destroid, 20 July 2016 - 11:33 AM.

• thehelix112, awdtt and Dan_585 like this
2013 GT-R Pearl White Black Edition

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

And then there's the Chase Cam video.  My coach, Jason and instructor Eric Rossini mounted a GoPro on the bumper of his GT-R (not stock).  They got in behind me and shot this video.

Dude, that chase video is fucking excellent, you are booking it!

Dave

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,095 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

It's not insignificant to maintain the best lap time list, so Jeff has taken me up on my offer to try to keep it updated more regularly.  I think that the list should be ordered by official track name, and then by best time, which is how Cicio started it.  More details would be useful to anyone pursuing road racing.  I'd like to put out some ideas on what data points would be useful to the community.  Here are some things I think would be of interest:

1. Track name and location (city, state) and configuration

2. Lap time

3. Date

4. Club or organization holding the event

5. Tire type: Street / Slicks

6. Tire description, including sizes, both front and rear

7. Suspension and brake modifications

8. Engine modifications

9. RWHP/TQ or AWHP/TQ

10. Telemetry (AIM, Traqmate, Harry's, etc.)

11. A link to the video and telemetry, verifying the lap time(s)

If anyone has any comments, please reply to my reply so that the item can be discussed.  We'll stop taking comments to this post a week from today, 18:00 PDT.  After that, we'll leave the discussion about the comments open for another week (18:00 PDT August 3).  By then, we should have decided which items should be listed as well as what timing mechanisms can be used to verify lap times. 

I'll then reformat what we have so that it looks consistent and make sure that the table includes everything that everyone has posted so far.

If you have documented times from any other forum, you are welcome to post them at the end of this topic and I'll put you on the list.

Thanks,

Bob

PS.  And man, did the GT-Rs rule the Glen the last 2 days!

• elf_cruiser likes this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
So to get an update onto the list after this thread is locked we'd PM you or Jeff?

Dave

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

So to get an update onto the list after this thread is locked we'd PM you or Jeff?

Dave

My understanding is that this thread will stay open and people will make replies in the decided-upon format, and then Bob will continually update the first post with the overall summary.  Basically similar to how David does his drag post.  Correct me if you had something else in mind though, Bob.

• Tim likes this
-Jeff

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,095 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

My understanding is that this thread will stay open and people will make replies in the decided-upon format, and then Bob will continually update the first post with the overall summary. Basically similar to how David does his drag post. Correct me if you had something else in mind though, Bob.

Correct, Jeff. The only thing I'd like to improve is what information we provide about our cars, our data collection device(s), and total number of track days.

The last is pretty important. It helps to establish whether the lap time was attributed to the driver or the car. Experienced drivers can blow away cars with more mods driven by less experienced drivers.
  • Tim likes this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Gotcha. Cool.

drk

drk

Stage 1 Member

• 115 posts
  • Joined 06-January 14

Regarding BSE's low 21 time at Cota, I may have been following him on this lap but ending up 3-4 seconds slower. We were recently there for MVP great time and some local friends showed up to welcome us Arizona boys to Austin. This was our third visit and we love this town, the only bad thing about Austin is that its surrounded by Texas. I was able to break 2:30 and was consistently running 2:28's with several laps in the low 2:25's. Bob and I both ran R7's. There was a very impressive aspect of Bob's times, only once  or twice did I even see one of his tires touch the paint and never an apex curb.  I showed  him a you tube video of another GTR running a 2:21 and told him it was an iPhone recording of one of my laps, he just started to laugh and said "your supposed to drive in the track, but keep it up and i'll keep  fixing your car". We should report times at Cota as "on the pavement or no holds barred"

• thehelix112 and choerizo like this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Why would you ever not use the berms? Are they crazy rough at cota or something?

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,987 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

Why would you ever not use the berms? Are they crazy rough at cota or something?

They are crazy smooth at COTA. Sobey is just a purist...

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
Ah. Well imagine how quick he'd be if he actually used all of the track. ;-)

choerizo

choerizo

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,737 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13
  • LocationAustin, TX

The COTA config changes during the time of year. During F1, they will put out the big yellow turtle shell which you do NOT want to hit (unless you want to get some air). During MotoGP, they shave everything down. It's a pretty substantial time difference in going over the curbs vs not. Depending on your HDPE group, some consider two off over the curbs as no-nos. I tend to drive with the F1 config in mind. Otherwise it makes the S's not really S's...

• thehelix112 likes this

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,987 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13

The COTA config changes during the time of year. During F1, they will put out the big yellow turtle shell which you do NOT want to hit (unless you want to get some air). During MotoGP, they shave everything down. It's a pretty substantial time difference in going over the curbs vs not. Depending on your HDPE group, some consider two off over the curbs as no-nos. I tend to drive with the F1 config in mind. Otherwise it makes the S's not really S's...

I would follow F1 rules regarding track limits. 2 off is fine, 4 off is a 'no no' and the track limit is the line where the asphalt meets the curbing. That's also the rule for track limits with NASA...

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,264 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
This is as much as I cut. Bus stop at Buttonwillow. View is from in front of the left headlight

zM1PGQ.gif

Edited by thehelix112, 03 March 2017 - 04:31 PM.

• 7racer likes this

awdtt

awdtt

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 1,095 posts
  • Joined 14-August 14

I finally got back to the track after back surgery.  This was supposed to be a tune-up for Daytona on 4/6-7 next month.  The only real upgrade I made (besides a fused L5-S1) was the repeal and replace of my data acquisition.  I added an AiM SmartyCam, GPS, and ECU Bridge.  The idea was to be able to get engine (especially RPM, boost, and temps) overlaid on the video. 

I give a lot of guys credit who find the time to track their cars and work full time.  I've been working full time again since September, and the car suffers.  Like the fact that I bought and installed the AiM about a month ago and still didn't have it configured for Homestead this weekend.  We partially have it figured out, but have a ways to go to get G-forces calibrated, the trans oil temp displaying, and of course, the track outline. 

The car is now for some reason, breaking up under boost in higher gears (4, 5, & 6).  It never did that, even as recently as 2 months ago when I dragged it at PBIR.  The weekend wasn't a total bust, but I would have liked to put my foot into it on the straights, but never could.  It seems that the car does really well in lower gears 1-3.  It winds right out to 7.5K-8K no problem.  But once we've built up speed, and shift into 4th and 5th, I can't get near full throttle without a violent fuel cut.  Several in a row, actually.  Lucky I have a HANS.  In the session video below, I've got my pit crew/track mechanic Steve riding shotgun, holding on to the laptop as we capture the issue multiple times.  I haven't yet looked at the log.  I plan to send it to Bill @ SiR for analysis.

The lack of a catch can is catching up with me.  Yes, David, the order is coming.  There is now so much oil in the IC-plenums that the hoses are literally slipping off.  We ended up cleaning the inside of the hoses and outsides of all of the pipes with brake parts cleaner to remove the oil, which gets in between the pipe and the rubber under the clamps on both banks. 

Edited by awdtt, 05 March 2017 - 11:28 PM.

• 7racer and thehelix112 like this
2015 BE Frankenmotor

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: road course, lap times, gt-r

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users