Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Differences in Front Suspension 2009-2014

- - - - - suspension differences

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Have fun replacing your rod ends in 5-10k miles! I'll just leave you this link for future reference.

http://www.summitrac...t-type/rod-ends

I am unaware that the litchfield used spherical rod ends.

Looks like stock endlinks to me...

Shawn

NJNYCGTR

NJNYCGTR

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 15-September 13

Have fun replacing your rod ends in 5-10k miles! I'll just leave you this link for future reference. 

http://www.summitrac...t-type/rod-ends

Is this a known issue with running the Litchfield Suspension?  I hadn't seen anyone comment on this before or is this with any aftermarket suspension?

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Is this a known issue with running the Litchfield Suspension?  I hadn't seen anyone comment on this before or is this with any aftermarket suspension?

when you say suspension, I assume you mean their coil overs.

They have the new upper control arms and toe links but I don't know of anyone in the US that has them.  They do have sphericals but supposedly of a "special" material that won't wear.  I sent a message to litchfield to inquire about it but haven't heard back (4 weeks now)

In7anity!!

NJNYCGTR

NJNYCGTR

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 15-September 13

when you say suspension, I assume you mean their coil overs.

They have the new upper control arms and toe links but I don't know of anyone in the US that has them.  They do have sphericals but supposedly of a "special" material that won't wear.  I sent a message to litchfield to inquire about it but haven't heard back (4 weeks now)

Thanks for the heads up and yes I did mean the coilovers.

Second guessing myself on installing the suspension now.  It's not a daily driver, but I live in manhattan so its always a pain if anything goes wrong with the GTR.  Would it make more sense to just upgrade the control arms and and endlinks?

Shawn - Sorry I am hijacking your thread and making it a Litchfield topic now.  I will start a new topic about the Litchfield coilovers to keep this thread on topic about the OEM suspension.

• shawnhayes likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Second guessing myself on installing the suspension now.  It's not a daily driver, but I live in manhattan so its always a pain if anything goes wrong with the GTR.  Would it make more sense to just upgrade the control arms and and endlinks?

Shawn - Sorry I am hijacking your thread and making it a Litchfield topic now.  I will start a new topic about the Litchfield coilovers to keep this thread on topic about the OEM suspension.

the coil overs will be fine.  Super fine actually.

upgrading the control arms and end links to after market can be a hassle with spherical ends....unless you upgrade with stock parts which could be $$

In7anity!!

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Nope.  This is where this belongs.  The intent of the topic is an OEM suspension upgrade.  So go for it.

Shawn

Bill@SiR

Bill@SiR

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 476 posts
  • Joined 21-December 12
  • LocationMiami FL

Right hand lower control arm

54500-JF00B     2009 and a few 2010's ONLY

54500-JF50A     2010's ONLY  (?????)

54500-KB50A    2011-2012 (crosses over CBA to DBA, and may be superseded by the below part number)

54500-38B0A     2011-2014 (again ???? crossing over CBA and DBA)

Right hand upper control arm

54524-JF00C   2009 ONLY

54524-JF50A   2011-2014 (okay, what about the 2010's?)

I also found a 54524-62B0A, but cannot confirm this is a real part number belonging to any model year.

Shawn

I have no clue on the parts but I can tell you each year ECU Code has the same prefix's

Example JF00-JF030 = 2009

JF33-JF50 = 2010

JW90-JW99 =2011

KB50-KB54=2012

KJ10-KJ-16 = 2013

38B = 2014

62B = 2015

I know a lot of DBA parts are on 2011's, so that makes sense that a 2011 got a KB part.  

I know it does not exactly refer to the years, but I figured this might help decode some of the part numbers. 

• icarus likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I have no clue on the parts but I can tell you each year ECU Code has the same prefix's

Example JF00-JF030 = 2009
JF33-JF50 = 2010
JW90-JW99 =2011
KB50-KB54=2012
KJ10-KJ-16 = 2013
38B = 2014
62B = 2015

I know a lot of DBA parts are on 2011's, so that makes sense that a 2011 got a KB part.

I know it does not exactly refer to the years, but I figured this might help decode some of the part numbers.

Thanks Bill.

I appreciate the insight!

Shawn

Santorican

Santorican

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 334 posts
  • Joined 06-January 13
  • LocationMaster Trololer

Second guessing myself on installing the suspension now. It's not a daily driver, but I live in manhattan so its always a pain if anything goes wrong with the GTR. Would it make more sense to just upgrade the control arms and and endlinks?

Shawn - Sorry I am hijacking your thread and making it a Litchfield topic now. I will start a new topic about the Litchfield coilovers to keep this thread on topic about the OEM suspension.

Ah my bad, thought you meant the control arms.

NJNYCGTR

NJNYCGTR

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 15-September 13

Ah my bad, thought you meant the control arms.

Whew, I was getting worried.  Thanks for the replies 7Racer and Santorican.

Guess I should bring the coilovers over to my shop while I am still waiting on the Top Secret parts (think it has been about 6 weeks now). Heard they slowed down production for some reason 2 weeks back, but not sure if that was true.

Anyways car sitting at body shop until they arrive, happy I live in the city so I don't need it much, but missing out on every get together now and a fund raiser out in Hershey, PA.

Anyways back to topic - Do you think upgrading to a DBA suspension would have netted better results for road/track handing vs the Litchfield?  Why?  Anyone have a suggestion as to which position to bolt the rear swaybar in for stock wheels and stock Potenza rubber?

Thank you.

• shawnhayes likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Anyways back to topic - Do you think upgrading to a DBA suspension would have netted better results for road/track handing vs the Litchfield?  Why?  Anyone have a suggestion as to which position to bolt the rear swaybar in for stock wheels and stock Potenza rubber?

Thank you.

No.

Why?

The Litchfield is not limited to production car limitations the way Nissan is.  Nissan has to kowtow to international requirements of ride height, nosedive, pedestrian safety, etc.  and is designed that way.  The Litchfield is designed for all out performance.

Second question...

Depends on what you have the front set to.  If you have OEM front, set to mid position rear.  If you have adjustable front, if front is full soft, go full soft rear.  If you have full hard front, mid position rear.

Shawn

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Just as a datapoint...when I got my car back from getting set up from TSM, they had my bars of full soft F and R

In7anity!!

NJNYCGTR

NJNYCGTR

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 149 posts
  • Joined 15-September 13

Thanks Shawn - I am running OEM front so I will try the mid position.

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
Real men run adjustable sways full soft.
  • 7racer likes this
2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
It's very similar to... having a 9 in your belt but choosing to subdue an attacker with your bare hands.
2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

I haven't read the links posted so this may have been mentioned, but we are doing a lot of suspension R&D here for some shocks in the works and we've realized that the motion ratio of the front suspension is different on the older ones.  I can only assume CBA and DBA is where the change happened, but hard to say yet.  On the 09, the front lower shock mount is about 1" further inward than on a 2013. 

• 7racer likes this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,900 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I haven't read the links posted so this may have been mentioned, but we are doing a lot of suspension R&D here for some shocks in the works and we've realized that the motion ratio of the front suspension is different on the older ones.  I can only assume CBA and DBA is where the change happened, but hard to say yet.  On the 09, the front lower shock mount is about 1" further inward than on a 2013. 

Tony!  are you guys going to make some suspension components?

also could someone explain to me motion ratio

In7anity!!

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

At some point we will have dampers.  At this point lots of R&D, the first test set will go on my car in the next month or so most likely. 

Motion ratio is the ratio of shock piston travel vs wheel travel as the suspension moves.  Think of it as leverage.  The further out the shock is on the lower control arm, the less leverage there is.  We're having a really hard time getting enough compression damping given the weight of the car and the motion ratio.   We are rebuilding stock dampers right now and adding external reservoirs to get the damping necessary.  The stock setup actually uses the bumpstop a lot, we want to get away from that. 

• 7racer and shawnhayes like this

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,189 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

At some point we will have dampers.  At this point lots of R&D, the first test set will go on my car in the next month or so most likely. 

Motion ratio is the ratio of shock piston travel vs wheel travel as the suspension moves.  Think of it as leverage.  The further out the shock is on the lower control arm, the less leverage there is.  We're having a really hard time getting enough compression damping given the weight of the car and the motion ratio.   We are rebuilding stock dampers right now and adding external reservoirs to get the damping necessary.  The stock setup actually uses the bumpstop a lot, we want to get away from that. 

Detailed part numbers are above.  I'm thinking I can get most of the new suspension geometry by buying just the new lower control arms, rather than uppers and lowers.  Thanks for the observations.  That's what I thought, though.

Shawn

Tony1

Tony1

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 28-December 12

With the lower shock location being about an inch further out, I would have thought they would have changed the upper location or angle, but i've compared a 2010 and 2013 shock tower very closely and I can't find any differences.  Maybe they're just letting the rubber bushings in the top spring perch deal with the new angle?  Doesn't seem like something a manufacturer would do, but who knows. 

T1racedevelopment.com

Injectordynamics.com

214-607-9022

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension, differences

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users