Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2014 Camaro Z/28 vs. GT-R Track Ed. - Yahoo Autos Article

- - - - - camaro gtr comparison yahoo autos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

You really think he wanted the GTR to win? I guess we can agree to differ on that. He knows how to drive for sure, but this is marketing 101: Saying lots of good things about the car you are beating only makes the case for the Z28 even stronger: The GTR is great and xyz beats it... 

I still think if you put a driver of equal skill in the GTR and Randy in z28 the GTR would win. Then Randy would have to either say the GTR was actually faster (not necessary better or more fun), or the other driver was better. Of course in a true race, the GTR would almost certainly get to the first corner first (and even with their time differences) it would be game over.

I agree the R35 is getting old and the others are catching up, and I'm no fan boy (For the record, if I had the money I would be in a McLaren tomorrow.) but these review are all so biased. 

I do wish they hadn't bothered with the track package, because I doubt it would make much if any difference to the results and just make the price difference gap bigger. 

Finally I'm not sure it is a case of GM making big changes and Nissan not, as much as it is about life cycle. The R35 is coming to the ends of its life and comparing to cars that have just been released is always going to show the gaps we are seeing.

I think what we can agree on is that the GTR isn't miles ahead like it was when it was first released.

Definitely some truth to what you're saying, but the GTR came out as a 2009 model and the 5th gen Camaro was a 2010 model.  So platform-wise, it's about as old.  And the Camaro was pretty much so panned by everybody when it first came out.  Every review I ever read put the Mustang ahead of it in terms of handling.  But from what that video showed the Z/28 actually has a different suspension setup, a major design change and a big improvement over the older 5th gens.  The R35 has tuned the shocks and springs and done some body stiffening, but it hasn't, to my knowledge at least, done any suspension style or geometry changes throughout the years.  It just "feels" like GM is a little more hungry than Nissan in this regard.  Like they have something to prove and are doing everything they can to make it happen.  Most everyone feels the upcoming Z06 will be faster than the GTR... if the Z/28 is regularly beating it around tracks as well then honestly, Nissan has some major catching up to do.  And Porsche better keep the hammer down...

-Jeff

div

div

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 155 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13

The R35 has tuned the shocks and springs and done some body stiffening, but it hasn't, to my knowledge at least, done any suspension style or geometry changes throughout the years.

The 2014 MY changes included lowering of the roll center of the suspension (possibly front only).

bdl99

bdl99

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 30-December 12

Definitely some truth to what you're saying, but the GTR came out as a 2009 model and the 5th gen Camaro was a 2010 model.  So platform-wise, it's about as old.  And the Camaro was pretty much so panned by everybody when it first came out.  Every review I ever read put the Mustang ahead of it in terms of handling.  But from what that video showed the Z/28 actually has a different suspension setup, a major design change and a big improvement over the older 5th gens.  The R35 has tuned the shocks and springs and done some body stiffening, but it hasn't, to my knowledge at least, done any suspension style or geometry changes throughout the years.  It just "feels" like GM is a little more hungry than Nissan in this regard.  Like they have something to prove and are doing everything they can to make it happen.  Most everyone feels the upcoming Z06 will be faster than the GTR... if the Z/28 is regularly beating it around tracks as well then honestly, Nissan has some major catching up to do.  And Porsche better keep the hammer down...

When you say "and are doing everything they can to make it happen" that includes having Motor Trend clearly on side :)   

It reminds me when Top Gear used to really frustrate me, because Clarkson was so pro Ford it wasn't funny. The fix for that was to treat Top Gear purely as family entertainment, which I do and can now enjoy it. I think the fix with Motor Trends is to just not read their crap.

But I do think Nissan need to step up their game, the improvements have been minor over the years and in some cases pure marketing. Let face it, one of the points they called out for 2015 was removing the reversing beeps! Then Bose noise cancellation etc, nothing to write home about.  

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha

I guess we'll see... I don't pay any attention to the words any of the mags use, but I assume they aren't sandbagging and rigging the times either.  We'll see what other publications come up with when they pit the Z/28 against the GTR on various courses with various drivers.  And I assume at some point we'll get an official ring time on it as well.

-Jeff

bdl99

bdl99

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 30-December 12

I guess we'll see... I don't pay any attention to the words any of the mags use, but I assume they aren't sandbagging and rigging the times either.  We'll see what other publications come up with when they pit the Z/28 against the GTR on various courses with various drivers.  And I assume at some point we'll get an official ring time on it as well.

There is rigging and rigging.  I don't generally take any notice of the words either, but there are some facts/background in those words.

"The track was a little bit wet because it had rained all night. The Nissan was first to run, and after four hot laps, Randy's best time around Barber's 2.4-mile circuit was 1:36.45. Next up was the potent Porsche, and it clicked off a quicker lap time of 1:36.34, beating the GT-R Track by 0.11 second. Finally, it was the Camaro's time to shine, but the best Randy could muster was 1:37.28. So there you go. The Camaro Z/28 lost to the bonkers Nissan and the German superfreak. The Chevy put up a good fight, but America, it seems, simply can't compete.

Just kidding!
Turns out we had the tire pressures set wrong. After dropping 6 psi per wheel, Randy went back out and knocked over a second off his lap. Yes, friends, despite having less power, an antiquated row-your-own transmission, and only RWD, the Camaro Z/28 laid down a time of 1:36.17, beating the Porsche by a larger margin (0.17 second) than the Turbo S clipped Godzilla (0.11 second). I went into this comparison thinking the Z/28 would be pretty damn great, but, at the end of the day, not as skilled nor as fleet as the Nissan or Porsche."

Remember also that Chevrolet were very much playing at home here. This was their launch event and I can just imagine how that tire pressure thing went down. If the Porsche or GTR had been a second slower, do you think they would have been tweaking the tire pressures?

• Forum ninja 2 likes this

HiBoost

HiBoost

Stage 3.9 Member

• OEM Member
  • 3,909 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13
  • LocationOmaha
Good points
-Jeff

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
good points. no doubt! is it a decent car, sure, is it better than nissan? in some ways yes, but gm through the kitchen sink at it, and it shows in its cost. they did more with this years cars than they have with any other in the past. i applaud gm for that.

would like to hear decent reviews from those who dont sand bag... if they re ran the one car, rerun the first car also... track might have been damper on the first run.
  • teedog and Forum ninja 2 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camaro, gtr, comparison, yahoo autos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users