Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2014 Dyno Tuning (Stage 2/3 Full Bolt Ons) [Lots of Data]

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

sponaugle

sponaugle

Stock

• Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 09-January 14
As promised, here is the updated tune as I move my 2014 GT-R through the stages.

Previoius Tunes and Data:  
Stock:  Stock/
Midpipe:   Midpipe/

Hardware Added for this Stage (Car previously had only a Cobb catless Y-pipe)

Cobb Intercooler Hardpipe Kit (http://www.cobbtunin...it-p/7c1500.htm)
ID1300cc Injector Set GT-R (http://www.t1racedev...or-gtr-r35.html)
2x Deatschwerks 65c Fuel Pumps (http://www.deatschwe...ps/dw65c-detail)

Observations:

The car is very loud now.  Very Very loud.   The combination of the catless y-pipe and the catless downpipes makes for an F1-car sound.    Around 5.5k RPM it sounds fantastic, especially on shifts.   Video during tuning, inside the car with the windows up:

For comparion, same dyno, same car, stock.  Keep in mind the mic is autogain, so the real difference in loudness is harder to appreciate.

Results:

Here is a table with a summary of the results so far.

FullBGTRDynoData-14.png

You can see the incremental power gains with each level of modification.    Of course peak numbers don't really tell the story.  Let's look at the data graphically.

FullBGTRDynoData-1.png

Here is the dyno data from the final Stage 3 Map for my setup.   This was on 92 Octane pump fuel, and outside air temps were cold (about 35 degrees).  Boost peaks around 18.7psi, and hovers above 18psi until about 6000 rpm.  Clearly there are gains everywhere when compared to stock.  Faster spool, more torque, and more horsepower.

FullBGTRDynoData-2.png

For those curious here are the plots of this same setup using the off-the-shelf Cobb Stage 3 Maps, with the injector scalar changed for ID1300s.   As part of this tuning we created new OTS maps for the ID1300s, and those will be up on the Cobb site soon.   The current Stage 3 OTS maps are for ID1000s.    You can see the gains from the 91 octane to the 93 octane maps, even though both run the same boost.     The car is really limited on 91 octane.  Yuck!

FullBGTRDynoData-3.png

As I mentioned above, there is more than just a peak number.   Torque gains down low are significant, with over 100 lb-ft of gain from 2200-3800 rpm.   Peak torque gain was 120 lb-ft at 3770 rpm.   If you assume there is zero additional power loss from stock (drivetrain efficiency, etc), you are talking about 630 crank hp.

FullBGTRDynoData-4.png

This is perhaps the most interesting part of the change...  At each stage spool up is improved in a measureable way.   This chart shows boost at each mod level from stock up to stage 3.

FullBGTRDynoData-5.png

Here is a zoomed in version of the previous chart.  I marked the point that each run reached 10psi with a yellow dot.  You can see that the first tune gained 100rpm, the midpipe gained another 100rpm, and the downpipes another 125rpm for a total gain of 325rpm at 10psi.  At 12psi it would be even more.  Clearly these mods give you more low end grunt.

FullBGTRDynoData-6.png

Looking at the final tune a bit more, you can see the wastegate duty cycle and injector duty cycle.   Unlike the previous two tunes, the car now has plenty of headroom.   Peak Injector Duty Cycle was 53%, which leaves lots of headroom for switching to E85 (30% more fuel needed).  For the next tune I will also have fuel pressure logged.

FullBGTRDynoData-7.png
FullBGTRDynoData-8.png

Here is a look at theoretical pulse width (load) and timing and MAF V.   This is about as far as we could push it on the 92 octane pump fuel.  Adding more timing resulted in occasional DAs of -1 or -2.   There were small gains in power with a bit more timing, but this fuel can't support it.    E85 is the solution.  MAF Volts peaked at 4.7 volts compared to the previous 4.96 volts with the regular intake size.   That leaves some headroom, but not a huge amount.

FullBGTRDynoData-9.png

I mentioned in a previous thread about how the theoretical pulsewidth (load) should be similar to the torque curve, and sure enough it is pretty close.    It is interesting that the TPW peaks around 2500 rpm, before the torque peak.   I suspect this is a result of an underlying efficiency in the engine.  

FullBGTRDynoData-10.png

Like TPW, MAF typically follows HP.   It would be better to graph actual MAF flow, not volts, but it is still interesting to see.

FullBGTRDynoData-11.png

Looking at Wastegate duty cycle vs boost, you can see that above 6k there just anything left in the turbo.   When WGDC starts rising and boost starts falling,  you are at the edge of the map.  

FullBGTRDynoData-13.png

Here is a look at AFRs for each of the 4 tune states.  You can see the stock tune is very rich, and the subsequent tunes were slightly leaner.   The full bolt-on case slopes towards the richer at higher RPM because the injectors and fuel pumps were not running out of steam.

Next up:  E85 with the same hardware, then C85, then E98, then Alpha 10 and/or Alpha 12.  (yes, with the same kind of data)

Cheers,

Comments/Suggestions/Questions/Ridicule Welcome..

Jeff Sponaugle

• Tim likes this

SkyleeGTR

SkyleeGTR

Stock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 12-February 18
  • LocationTexas
Hi, have a couple of questions for you. Just to let you know I'm new to the gtr and tuning it, so please be easy...LOL.

Just picked up a 2014 Track Edition (Fully Stock) but want to add 50-70 HP and it looks like the mid pipe and a Cobb tuner will get me there! I know with my STI, tuning with my accessport was relatively easy and making custom adjustments was easy.

Am I correct that I cannot tune my GTR myself through the Cobb accessport and does that mean I would need to pickup a tune from...say yourself that is a good proven tune from what I see?

Thanks for your impute...

Brad
  • Tim likes this

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,624 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
I’d be glad to set you up also Brad :)

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,282 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

Hi, have a couple of questions for you. Just to let you know I'm new to the gtr and tuning it, so please be easy...LOL.

Just picked up a 2014 Track Edition (Fully Stock) but want to add 50-70 HP and it looks like the mid pipe and a Cobb tuner will get me there! I know with my STI, tuning with my accessport was relatively easy and making custom adjustments was easy.

Am I correct that I cannot tune my GTR myself through the Cobb accessport and does that mean I would need to pickup a tune from...say yourself that is a good proven tune from what I see?

Thanks for your impute...

Brad

you could but would need the tuning software from Cobb not just the AP

In7anity!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users