Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BAC Mono versus......

- - - - - bac mono single seat

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,777 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I absolutely love this car...even before it set the second fastest lap on Top Gear this year.

Just wondering how many of you would get this car and the pros and cons of it.

I have been follow the development on a couple sites.

Sector111 the official importers and their blog

http://sector111.blo...-shakedown.html

The rennlist forum, where a 911GT3 owner has one on order

http://forums.rennli...no-nsfw-12.html

and an unofficial Bac Mono forum

http://www.monoforum.com

Check out the body...raw

9397280714_c57ea866b1_b.jpg

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,777 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

So what I like about the Mono:

1. unique single seat track experience

2. no nannies, no ABS....

3. low expendables, pads and rotors same front to back

4. even though low volume car, Sector111 will fly out to service it.

5. the build quality

6. balance of power and weight

7. street legal so I can drive it to the track and back and not have to worry about a trailer

Cons

1. no AC and I live in Texas!

2. there is no downforce from the aero...all mechanical grip

3. slow meeting builds from Sector 111

4. some DE's won't allow the car to run due to being considered "open wheel"?

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,777 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I know it doesn't have a lot of horsepower and would get pulled on down the straights.  But the over balance of cornering and power and center seat position would be a blast.

There aren't a lot on lap times as the car is so new...but there are some times getting posted

http://fastestlaps.c...s/bac_mono.html

In7anity!!

Polivoks

Polivoks

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,406 posts
  • Joined 05-December 12

I saw it in person earlier this year where they had a fully built one on display at an F1 event. It looked awesome. I couldn't sit in it to see if I fit though.

I would consider it more competition for Ariel Atom, Caterham Seven, Radical, etc. than the GT3RS you mentioned before. It's more a straight-up track-day open wheel car. I would love one of these, but $180k+ seems like a lot when you compare it to what else you could get in that category. Also, reliability is questionable - they mentioned it breaking down multiple times on the Top Gear episode, didn't they? I wouldn't want to be one of the first to take reception of it. I've been really considering getting an open wheel track car in the spring too, but ruled this out due to price. Still very interested in it though.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,777 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I hear ya.  The reliability was for their pre-production model before they sent out the one that they tested just this year.  Even with that, you can read on Sector111 blog on some of the issues they had to deal with on the first one they built.

I would be running it with street tires so I could drive it to the track.  I have a guy who drives a Caterham in my DE group on race slicks.  I can keep up with him a bit with the GT-R on R888 but its hard work.  

What else would you look at in that price range?

Since you were considering an open wheel car, what events would you run in?

I really would love to have this car during my next even at COTA...that would be a blast!

In7anity!!

Polivoks

Polivoks

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,406 posts
  • Joined 05-December 12

KTM Xbow is in that range too. That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

My situation may be a bit different. I'm not that experienced real-life driver and the reason I am looking at getting a track car (besides cheaper wear and tear items) is that I'm afraid of putting my GT-R into a wall and damaging it. I think I would have the same concern with the Mono as well being that it costs nearly $200k. If I was very experienced, or had more money to burn, it probably wouldn't be a concern at all. I would be running (and storing) the car at the Autobahn Country Club here so I wouldn't need to worry about being street legal or about DE event rules. I was thinking spec Atom since they are $45k and I could crash 4 for the price of a Mono :o, but I'm not sure they have a league for it there so I'm still undecided.

So jealous that you get COTA track days!

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13

That is an awesome looking car.  I think Polivoks brought up a lot of good points.  To me, it seems like a very expensive machine that has a lot of questions marks attached to it.

Some of thoughts -

1) BEAUTIFUL car.

2) How safe is it?  Has it been crash tested?

3) The last blog entry from Sector111 was from March...  and there were a LOT of fluid leaks.  Has everything been resolved?

4) I would *not* want to drive this car on the street except for short distances.  No windshield, no A/C, no passengers, no storage space, no spare wheel/tire.  It is definitely a car you would trailer to/from the track or store at the track in a garage.

5) Do I really want no ABS and no power steering?

6)  $180k buys a lot of other different cars.  What about a Radical?

2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

Xsuil

Xsuil

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

I'd rather get the Formula Ford Ecoboost
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sxUx6qi0I_k

rCfhnEM.jpg

Phase 1 : 

- Topspeed Motorsports 4.0 Engine .
- ETS HTA 3794 Turbo Kit .
- 1460 HP @ 38 PSI
- 1100 HP @ 25 PSI

Phase 2 :
- Topspeed Motorsports 4.1 Engine .
- ETS Little Hero Super99 Turbo Kit .
- 1500+ HP @ 40 PSI
- 1000  HP @ 21 PSI

Phase 3 : In Progress 
- T1 Race Development 3.8 Engine .

- DMS Custom Forward Facing Turbo Kit.

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
http://www.gtrherita...-driven-evo-tv/
id get that. bac mono is so cool but its just not for me.

Polivoks

Polivoks

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,406 posts
  • Joined 05-December 12

That is concept-only right now, isn't it?

Xsuil

Xsuil

Stage 3 Member

• OEM Member
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

That is concept-only right now, isn't it?

Concept for now but hopefully it goes into the market , a cheaper and a reliable option is the Ariel Atom

rCfhnEM.jpg

Phase 1 : 

- Topspeed Motorsports 4.0 Engine .
- ETS HTA 3794 Turbo Kit .
- 1460 HP @ 38 PSI
- 1100 HP @ 25 PSI

Phase 2 :
- Topspeed Motorsports 4.1 Engine .
- ETS Little Hero Super99 Turbo Kit .
- 1500+ HP @ 40 PSI
- 1000  HP @ 21 PSI

Phase 3 : In Progress 
- T1 Race Development 3.8 Engine .

- DMS Custom Forward Facing Turbo Kit.

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,777 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

That is an awesome looking car.  I think Polivoks brought up a lot of good points.  To me, it seems like a very expensive machine that has a lot of questions marks attached to it.

Some of thoughts -

1) BEAUTIFUL car.

2) How safe is it?  Has it been crash tested?

3) The last blog entry from Sector111 was from March...  and there were a LOT of fluid leaks.  Has everything been resolved?

4) I would *not* want to drive this car on the street except for short distances.  No windshield, no A/C, no passengers, no storage space, no spare wheel/tire.  It is definitely a car you would trailer to/from the track or store at the track in a garage.

5) Do I really want no ABS and no power steering?

6)  $180k buys a lot of other different cars.  What about a Radical?

not sure of the safety as there are no airbags but the "cage" tube frame looks pretty sound.  I imagine that ariels etc would have the same questions about crash tests with them.

no idea of the issues....when one of people on the mono forum commented, it looks like production is pretty slow.

the thing I like is that it is so streetable....or at least that's what the commentator mentioned.  Most people put it akin to driving a motorcycle.  The single seat feeling in the open.  No AV, no spare no storage etc...(though the mono does have a storage area)

The radical is a nice car but I really like the convience of driving it to the track.

In7anity!!

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,777 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

saw that...just not out yet.

There is also this option from mexico

http://www.vuhl05.com

I have to admit it looks pretty cool and like how it goes on the track

In7anity!!

'Q

'Q

MEGTROC Admin/Founder

• OEM Member
  • 147 posts
  • Joined 15-September 13
  • LocationBahrain

I like them all, except for the KTM Xbow, too flashy i guess and lacks power. 

But overall, if cash isnt a problem, then defo the BAC Mono no doubt. The price is high, but at the end of the day you are sitting in the right position. That experience alone is $80K. :D

cb0faf6b-6b3d-4a22-88d3-2b04afeebdab_zps

JCR // Vorsteiner // GTC Racing Technology // SKIPPER // Brixton Forged // Vellano Forged Middle East // GT Forged // ISS Forged Wheels // PUR Wheels // Klassen Wheels // Strasse Forged Wheels // ADV1 Wheels // IPE Innotech  // Capristo  // Frequency Intelligent Exhausts // ARMYTRIX // Motul Lubricants // Willall // HKS // SeidoWorks // LB Performance // Rocket Bunny // Bensopra // DuellAG // 3D Design // Agency Power // Status Racing Seats // VAD // Aspec // Charge Speed // OVERTAKE Int. // ML24 // Shadow Craft Design // RevoZport // Carbon Works // Carbon House Italy // Skipper 

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,777 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

I like them all, except for the KTM Xbow, too flashy i guess and lacks power.

But overall, if cash isnt a problem, then defo the BAC Mono no doubt. The price is high, but at the end of the day you are sitting in the right position. That experience alone is $80K. :D

I like the way you think!!!

In7anity!!

Dsm_alpha

Dsm_alpha

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,639 posts
  • Joined 03-April 13
And then let me drive the thing!
  • 7racer likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,777 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

And then let me drive the thing!

lol deal

In7anity!!

icarus

icarus

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,870 posts
  • Joined 04-February 13
me first please lol
2014 NISSAN GT-R
Racing Brake - HKS - GotBoost Performance - AMS

elf_cruiser

elf_cruiser

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 2,026 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
Ummm yeah the Mono looks cool but not a sensible option at that price. For $180k you can get a pimp ass RV, two radicals so when (not if) the first one breaks down you have a whole spare car, and a stacker trailer to haul both cars plus extra tires and so on. Or if you want to go even faster shop for some used ALMS cars. They're out there in that price range. If you don't have room at your residence for multiple cars, an RV and trailer etc etc, and you need to drive your car to/from the track (this is my situation atm) then I would suggest getting a Nissan GTR. Because that's what I did.

But ohhh wait...
  • 7racer likes this

2010 GT-R - Matte Gray, AP/Carbotech, BSE trans cooler, BSE tune on ECUTek, H&R sways, AMSOIL, NASA-AZ TT2 and occasional DD
1976 FJ-40 Rock Buggy - tube chassis, LQ4, 700R4, NP205, Rockwells, F&R hydraulic steering, Fox, Ballistic, lots of 4130, 7068, and AR400

2001 Ford Excursion - V10, DD and occasional tow rig

facebook.com/DangerousEnterprises

Do want someday - Radical, 599 GTB w/FHP, 430 Scud, Superlite Coupe, FF Type 65 Coupe

mrchaztsai

mrchaztsai

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 15-September 13
  • LocationSo-Cal/TPE/SGN

LOVE the Mono, but agreed the price is a bit unsettling. I'd probably go with an Ariel Atom (supercharged K24) if I really wanted a dedicated open wheel track car.

But damn, it is GORGEOUS though. If money were no object I'd just get both the Mono and the V8 Atom :P

Past: 2012 GT-R Premium - SPE 650R E-85 (SOLD to SPE)

Current:

2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed

2012 M-B E550 Coupe

2011 Lexus ES350

2009 M-B C63 AMG (In Taipei)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bac mono, single seat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users