Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Transmission Cooling Poll (start of 2013!)

- - - - - transmission trans cooling transmission cooling

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Trans Coolers

Transmission cooling

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,051 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
  • LocationBlue water and White Sandy Beaches
Shawn, Clayton was the engineer that designed the system. Took him a year of testing stuff , to get it right. He is a smart cookie was working Hendrix motorsports on there NASCAR teams, and got burnt out on it. That’s how he ended up at AMS.
post-273-0-31146100-1438786356.jpg

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,072 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Testing stuff on what?  Has AMS run/support a road race car at any competitive level to actually validate that stuff works not in a lab?

And if they spent a year testing it, where is the data?  Something as simple as this: 

graph_pc.png

I don't get it myself, I'm a simpleton, I like things to be modular.  The reason I went with greddy is that it decouples the DCT cooling from the engine cooling.  Smushing everything together just sounds like a shit idea.

But if I'm wrong, cool, give us details!

Dave

Charlie

Charlie

Stage 1 Member

• 154 posts
  • Joined 19-March 15
  • LocationIndianapolis

That GT-R Life thread was me....I run water wetter and the AMS street cooling system with the AMS trans cooler and 2 big AMS oil coolers.Always running around 240-270ish degrees on the trans gauge in HOT temps (Shep 2.5 tranny)....I don't have cooling problems in 90 degree high humidity anymore,my tires and power steering fluid could need some help in these temps.thinking on getting the Power steering cooler,300 bucks if it works would be cool :).

.At the Indy PCA event I regularly run 165-170mph on the main straight in those conditions....My only problem is aero now,I will be running a Overtake hood with the gurney flap this year.

I put my Track Pack lip in storage and switched to a Ntune cf splitter with brake ducts and canards.

The factory GT-R wing will be replaced by the 1700mm Varis Kamikaze 2 supersonic GT wing and reinforced trunk.

Last year with the factory wing at 170mph going into turn 1 was like trying to brake and steer with just the front wheels...Lol.

After discussions with Aeromotion and their wing I decided on a static GT style wing...Aeromotion didn't sound confident in their wing holding up or staying on a cf trunk at 170mph.

Also running the the DSC sport controller,thanks for the read on it in this forum!

Going to try running the Hoosier R7 in 20'' 285 square also this year.

I only live about 6-7 miles from the Indy 500 so if the R7's wear out on the 2nd day I'll swap back to a fresh set of R888R offsets.

Without the areo on a smaller 1.78 track I would run down and regularly pass the new GT3 RS cars....They pretty much stay on track longer as my 3mpg on a full tank of E85 only seems to last about 18-24 minutes before I start starving the Alpha omega fuel pump....Burp Burp...Lol.

Edited by Charlie, 18 April 2018 - 10:35 PM.

• Tim and thehelix112 like this

Charlie

Charlie

Stage 1 Member

• 154 posts
  • Joined 19-March 15
  • LocationIndianapolis

Also the IMS doesn't allow cars with any type of coolant in them....I run water wetter in the warm months then store my car with coolant in the winter.

After this weekend I will be flushing my system and switching to water wetter.

I would have done it a couple weeks ago but its been unseasonably cold this year.

• Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,051 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

That GT-R Life thread was me....I run water wetter and the AMS street cooling system with the AMS trans cooler and 2 big AMS oil coolers.Always running around 240-270ish degrees on the trans gauge in HOT temps (Shep 2.5 tranny)....I don't have cooling problems in 90 degree high humidity anymore,my tires and power steering fluid could need some help in these temps.thinking on getting the Power steering cooler,300 bucks if it works would be cool :).

.At the Indy PCA event I regularly run 165-170mph on the main straight in those conditions....My only problem is aero now,I will be running a Overtake hood with the gurney flap this year.
I put my Track Pack lip in storage and switched to a Ntune cf splitter with brake ducts and canards.
The factory GT-R wing will be replaced by the 1700mm Varis Kamikaze 2 supersonic GT wing and reinforced trunk.
Last year with the factory wing at 170mph going into turn 1 was like trying to brake and steer with just the front wheels...Lol.

After discussions with Aeromotion and their wing I decided on a static GT style wing...Aeromotion didn't sound confident in their wing holding up or staying on a cf trunk at 170mph.
Also running the the DSC sport controller,thanks for the read on it in this forum!

Good info thanks for chiming in. Glad the AMS system is working for you I had a hard time trying to get some feed back. I ended up going with the Freddy

Going to try running the Hoosier R7 in 20'' 285 square also this year.
I only live about 6-7 miles from the Indy 500 so if the R7's wear out on the 2nd day I'll swap back to a fresh set of R888R offsets.

Without the areo on a smaller 1.78 track I would run down and regularly pass the new GT3 RS cars....They pretty much stay on track longer as my 3mpg on a full tank of E85 only seems to last about 18-24 minutes before I start starving the Alpha omega fuel pump....Burp Burp...Lol.

Good info thanks for chiming in. Glad the AMS system is working for you I had a hard time trying to get some feed back. I ended up going with the Greddy color just because even AMS said there system would have a hard time handeling what I dowith my car multiple 200 street pulls and races, I know I’m not sane lol
  • thehelix112 likes this

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Also the IMS doesn't allow cars with any type of coolant in them....I run water wetter in the warm months then store my car with coolant in the winter.

After this weekend I will be flushing my system and switching to water wetter.

I would have done it a couple weeks ago but its been unseasonably cold this year.

Draining and refilling the GT-R radiator is SUCH a pain in the ass.  You have my respect sir.

Shawn

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Good info thanks for chiming in. Glad the AMS system is working for you I had a hard time trying to get some feed back. I ended up going with the Greddy color just because even AMS said there system would have a hard time handeling what I dowith my car multiple 200 street pulls and races, I know I’m not sane lol

Tim,

I loved my Greddy cooler.  Loved it.

I believe, based on my thoughts, that the AMS system will be superior.  I don't know if the Greddy system will do as well.

Shawn

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,051 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
From what Martin Ivan and Dan told me . I used the racing 20 bikes scenario to them and that told me the Greddy or HKS would work best because it’s aviary to air and when they designed there system it was designed for a 1200hp car max and me being at 1600 they were having reservations

Hence why I went with The Greddy and Tony gave me a great price on it

Charlie

Charlie

Stage 1 Member

• 154 posts
  • Joined 19-March 15
  • LocationIndianapolis

Spent the day at Putnam Park tearing up a 2 year old set of offset MPSS  I had sitting on my tire rack ....I forgot how sucky they were in the cold...Lol

43 degrees in the morning 60 degrees this afternoon, and my car kept breaking the rear tires loose coming out of almost every turn.Throttle control is a buzzkill...

My trans. temps never got above 215 and I pushed it as hard as I could without fish tailing the ass end out of turns.Running 140+ in the main straight.

After tomorrow these tires are toast and I'm switching to a new set of offset R888R's...My lap times were off by more than 2 seconds over the Toyos.

• Tim and thehelix112 like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,051 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
Man I would love 215,if you could kindly chime in after you get the R888s on and tell us if your temps went up.
Tia. Tim

Charlie

Charlie

Stage 1 Member

• 154 posts
  • Joined 19-March 15
  • LocationIndianapolis

I will probably be running the same trans temps in May in 70-80 degree temps when I switch tires and flush my winter coolant and and run Water Wetter.

Water Wetter lowers my coolant temps around 20 degrees and this effectively lowers my trans temps also in warmer weather.

I'll report back on this in the middle of May

Edited by Charlie, 21 April 2018 - 06:06 PM.

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

From what Martin Ivan and Dan told me . I used the racing 20 bikes scenario to them and that told me the Greddy or HKS would work best because it’s aviary to air and when they designed there system it was designed for a 1200hp car max and me being at 1600 they were having reservations

Hence why I went with The Greddy and Tony gave me a great price on it

Tim, the greddy and HKS were designed for the Greddy and HKS level upgrades, which I think max out at 1000.

I'm just using physics.  The AMS system has a MUCH increased surface area vs. the Greddy for cooling.  It increases the oil cooling x 2, and increases the radiator cooling by a significant factor, and adds a laminova to put heat from the trans into the radiator coolant.  The Greddy is only as big as the stock oil cooler, adds no improved radiator cooling, and no improved oil cooling.

If the guys at AMS said their cooler is not enough, I'm not going to fight them.....

....but I think they're being humble and conservative.  I think their solution is better than the Greddy or HKS, and I owned the Greddy.  It did what I needed it to do, but I was a stock power doing hard laps in 90-100 degree temps.  What you are doing is MUCH harder on everything, not just the transmission.  

Just letting you know what I think.  Real world testing might be different, but I can't see why if the AMS system isn't better why they even bothered.  It's more expensive than either the Greddy or the HKS, and more extensively thought out honestly.

Shawn

• Tim likes this

Charlie

Charlie

Stage 1 Member

• 154 posts
  • Joined 19-March 15
  • LocationIndianapolis

Saw 230 degrees today during a hard full session 25-28 minutes,outside temps were warmer around 65-66 degrees.(on winter coolant)

Highest trans temp of the weekend.

• Tim likes this

thehelix112

thehelix112

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,072 posts
  • Joined 14-June 13
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
Well below yellow right? (sorry, I run mine in Celsius)

How much power are you making Charlie?
  • Tim likes this

Charlie

Charlie

Stage 1 Member

• 154 posts
  • Joined 19-March 15
  • LocationIndianapolis

Oh yea well below yellow,I'm talking 230 Fahrenheit.

Making around 630hp at the wheels.

Water wetter next month will probably have me running the same in high 70 to low 80 degree outside temps.

Edited by Charlie, 23 April 2018 - 05:02 AM.

• Tim and 7racer like this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,051 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12

Tim, the greddy and HKS were designed for the Greddy and HKS level upgrades, which I think max out at 1000.

I'm just using physics.  The AMS system has a MUCH increased surface area vs. the Greddy for cooling.  It increases the oil cooling x 2, and increases the radiator cooling by a significant factor, and adds a laminova to put heat from the trans into the radiator coolant.  The Greddy is only as big as the stock oil cooler, adds no improved radiator cooling, and no improved oil cooling.

If the guys at AMS said their cooler is not enough, I'm not going to fight them.....

....but I think they're being humble and conservative.  I think their solution is better than the Greddy or HKS, and I owned the Greddy.  It did what I needed it to do, but I was a stock power doing hard laps in 90-100 degree temps.  What you are doing is MUCH harder on everything, not just the transmission.  

Just letting you know what I think.  Real world testing might be different, but I can't see why if the AMS system isn't better why they even bothered.  It's more expensive than either the Greddy or the HKS, and more extensively thought out honestly.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn I appreciate that, I do have the upgraded radiator but no other upgrades cooling wise

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 5,010 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

Thanks Shawn I appreciate that, I do have the upgraded radiator but no other upgrades cooling wise

If you have the upgraded radiator, you're probably 50% of the way there.

They know your car.  Are engine oil temps good?

Shawn

• Tim likes this

Tim

Tim

FYI Gators eat the bones

• OEM Member
  • 9,051 posts
  • Joined 06-December 12
Yes sir, even racing the bikes. I never got over 230, most times it around 210
  • thehelix112 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission, trans, cooling, transmission cooling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users