Welcome to Nissan GT-R Heritage
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Transmission Cooling Poll (start of 2013!)

- - - - - transmission trans cooling transmission cooling

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Trans Coolers

Transmission cooling

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago

Whats your transmission cooler of choices?

celsius

celsius

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 195 posts
  • Joined 31-December 12

I like the one that works the best! ;)  

WGP BUILT:

- TSM (Racing SB), WGP CNC heads, TSM Elite+ Turbos, T1R Oil Pan, T1R pulley, BL Catchcan, 12inj Curt Brown ported manifold

- T1R F750 Fuel Filter

- ETS RACE FMIC

- ETS RACE DPs

- ETS RACE Exhaust

- BL 3.5" intakes

- FORE Innovations Tripple 485's w/ Visconti Hardwire & FP monitor

- Shep Trans (OneK w/Drag Pack & Dodson Extreme gears & DSS Pro Axels w/ARP studs)

- KAPS AWD controller

- WGP CCR w/ Pagid RSC 1 pads

- COBB AP

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
i would have to suggest the ams kit then... but I've yet to hear customer reviews yet. otherwise hks greedy and ssp front mount all give similar temps and each has its pros and cons. for the money the ams kit cools the whole system so no need for extra coolers for each... eg trans, coolant and engine. id like to see a thread on it on this forum with some data.
  • TurboEd likes this

TurboEd

TurboEd

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined 20-December 12
I second Ian on the AMS deal.

Polivoks

Polivoks

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,399 posts
  • Joined 05-December 12
I like the one that works the best! ;)  

Does anyone know which manufacturers have published specs or test data?

Cicio@TSM

Cicio@TSM

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12

My vote goes to the HKS. It's a proven cooler that has tons of positive reviews. We have used several of them with great success. It may be the most widely used cooler to date. I am eager to see the results of the AMS, but with it being such a new kit there does not seem to be many reviews to date.

~Cicio

-OneLap of America Overall 1st Place - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

-TX2K13 Overall 1st Place | TX2K13 Class 2 1st Place

-Shootout 2015 Overall 1st Place & 2nd Place

-TX2K15 Class 4 2nd Place | TX2K15 Roll Race 1st Place SS

-FL2K 2015 Overall 1st Place

-TSM Shop Car (ETS Pro1900) @ 7.594 & 189.51

-Fastest Customer @ 7.70@180

-Fastest Stock Frame Turbo GT-R In the World @ 8.14@170

-Standing Half Mile Stock Frame Turbo Record @ 206.4 TSM ELITE

-Standing Half Mile 218MPH

TopSpeedForumGTR.jpg

Call: 678-297-7770

cicio@topspeedmotorsports.com

TopSpeedMotorsports.com

**AWD Dyno Tuning

**Parts, Sales, Service

GTRDREAM

GTRDREAM

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 422 posts
  • Joined 29-December 12
  • LocationFort Lauderdale
I'm very interested in the Greddy cooler may be my next big purchase? Is it similar in regards to the HKS that is needs the wires lengthened and a new wiper reservoir installed? I see that the HKS one comes with the reservoir.
2009 Titanium GT-R

Radguy

Radguy

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 26-February 13

I have the HKS cooler. So far it's working flawlessly.

Two track days so far, the second with both my wife and I driving in alternate groups. Car was on the track for 50-55 mins every hour all day long. Running as fast as we could with well worn OEM tires--transmission in auto mode--the highest tranny oil temp we saw was 210F (75 degrees ambient temp that day).

On the street, never goes past 174F, even in 105 degree heat. 

• Enshiu likes this

ian.r

ian.r

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 6,587 posts
  • Joined 19-December 12
  • Locationnear Chicago
i hear good things from both. they both work a bit differentlly. some shops like one over the other. spe are pretty knowledgeable about the greddy unit if you want to ask them for definitive info.

UnaBomber

UnaBomber

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 560 posts
  • Joined 20-December 12
  • LocationHilton Head Island, SC

Just installed the AMS race kit this week and will let you guys know how i like it when i get some seat time with it

• Tim, ian.r and changster like this

TSM Built 2015 

4.4 Billet block, ETS Pro1900 Turbos 
19xx whp/13xx wtq

213mph Half Mile, 7.64@184, 1.23 60 foot

1995 Motorex R33 GTR

2.8, PTE6766, ProEFI 8xx whp

M O N S T E R

M O N S T E R

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 1,551 posts
  • Joined 04-July 13
  • LocationNJ

The HKS and Greddy kits are very clean in that they also use the factory placement opposite of the factory oil cooler. It's too bad we don't have any vendors making a similar kit for much less. I'd buy it right away if the price was fair.

• Enshiu likes this

c0b71d63-fe57-44f8-8afc-9ddd372abf9a_zps

RESOLUTE

RESOLUTE

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 12-September 13

I'll get you some info on our World Challenge set up. Not sure what my guys did, but we have aux trans and diff coolers operated via toggle switch in cockpit. Our home track is a very tight and technical track that requires lots of shifting. With the new set up I never see trans oil temps over 210 which is pretty remarkable IMHO.

09  GTR - currently under construction to "ludicrous" speed

09  GTR - "Brass Monkey" World Challenge track beast

12  Porsche Turbo S - "White" 

couple others - i.have.a.car.problem.

Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

Stage 4 Member

• Vendors
  • 2,646 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
I just installed an HKS cooler and the quality and OEMness amazes.
  • M O N S T E R likes this

Doug Ross
Owner of Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

shawnhayes

shawnhayes

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 4,918 posts
  • Joined 11-September 13

I'm very interested in the Greddy cooler may be my next big purchase? Is it similar in regards to the HKS that is needs the wires lengthened and a new wiper reservoir installed? I see that the HKS one comes with the reservoir.

Wires must be lengthened, but PM nickTo as he might have a better solution (but I can't speak for him)

You must buy the washer tank separately.

The greddy removes the OEM cooling when it is activated, and as a result is a very different solution.

In practice, there seems to be very little difference in function. The HKS one has nicer grommets, and vibration isolation. Ingot the greddy one as the HKS one was unavailable. I have been very happy with the unit, however.

Shawn

forty-two

forty-two

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 743 posts
  • Joined 19-March 13
  • LocationATX

HKS for me. Just make sure you check that the fluid lines running in the tunnel under the passenger compartment aren't rubbing anything. On my car & on my brother's, the lines were clearly rubbing some of the (aftermarket) exhaust pipe flanges - looked like it was occurring when the car was experiencing high lateral load.

ATX GTROC on Facebook - link

14492399_1137348429689454_63336591853219

descartesfool

descartesfool

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 875 posts
  • Joined 16-September 13

Does anyone know which manufacturers have published specs or test data?

HKS is the only company I know of that has published real data for the cooling effectiveness of their setup. AMS system looks good and they gave an initial set of just single numbers, but those were not correct and they might have revised them. In any case a single number is not very useful as temperature keeps climbing the more laps you run, and the result is also dependent on how hard and fast you are driving and on the ambient temperature. Here is the data on the HKS DCT, which is what I have and it works flawlessly. Others surely work as well, but you only get to try one, as it it far too much trouble and too expensive to experiment.

Charts show HKS DCT cooler effect on both transmission fluid and engine coolant temperatures, with and without. Each spike in the water temp chart represent one lap. Car they ran also has their GT600 kit, so power is higher than OEM, which also affects all the temperatures. DCT temp stabilizes at 127C (260F) and water temperature is dropped about 5C (9F). I rarely see anything above 120C (248F) with mine and OEM 2009 power. And I am running 30/70 antifreeze mix which also helps all temps

nengun-3072-00-hks-dct_cooler_kit.png

Price for this 

HKS 27002-AN002 Dual Clutch Transmission Cooler Kit for Nissan R35

on Amazon is $2050, which is much less than I paid about 4-5 years ago. Install with a lift takes the better part of a day if you've never done one before. 

• Enshiu likes this

7racer

7racer

Stage 4 Member

• OEM Member
  • 7,336 posts
  • Joined 24-March 13

HKS for me also...never had any tranny temp issues on the track...just oil

In7anity!!

Thebishman

Thebishman

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 14-September 13

Just installed the AMS race kit this week and will let you guys know how i like it when i get some seat time with it

Will be very interested in your results. It's a damn shame it took them so long to release this kit, but all of the components should work great on the road course.

Ghassanzein

Ghassanzein

Stock

• OEM Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Joined 13-September 13
  • LocationBeirut, Lebanon
I have been waiting to see reviews on that AMS setup as its very expensive, I want to make sure it is true to AMS and their quality.

• Jamaica2G likes this
Ghassan Zein

akuma

akuma

Stage 1 Member

• OEM Member
  • 178 posts
  • Joined 19-September 13

Very keen to hear the results of this poll as I am looking for the most affordable but effective transmission cooler.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission, trans, cooling, transmission cooling

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users